Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The big Influenza

Well, its been a weird year for influenza. We thought we were out of the woods this past spring with the "regular" flu being over, only to run headfirst into the H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic. PTP has seen around 50 cases of H1N1 in the past two months. My daughter Mairin had it and, let me tell you, she was quite ill for a week. I hope I never see her so sick again! Which brings me to the topic of this blog. GET YOUR FLU SHOT! Right now there is no shortage of the yearly "regular flu" vaccine. (There is currently no H1N1 vaccine available.) It is a phone call and appointment away. Just call the office. Every year I have more than a few families who refuse their flu shots for a variety of reasons (all myths); The flu shot makes you sick, gives you the flu, is ineffective, causes autism...blah blah blah...Every year I find myself shaking my "I told you so" finger to those families who didn't get immunized and now find themselves in my exam room with a really sick child or teenager. At least I've been fortunate that none of my patients have died from flu yet but...LISTEN UP! Influenza kills 36, 000 people a year. The CDC is predicting that around 90,000 might die from H1N1 if it becomes more virulent the next time around. Did I get your attention? 90k, that's almost a packed house at the Cowboys new stadium...gone...poof...Come on, it's time to get serious about the flu and drop the stupid myths about vaccines. ----Dr. Nern

No comments:

Post a Comment